Thursday 1 September 2011

Top Tip for Corrugated Surfaces

I was reading September's Model Rail and was particularly interested in an article about making corrugated iron sheets. Now, Paul A. Lunn suggests using a Modelscene corrugated panel as a kind of template, pressing a piece of thick aluminium foil (such as from a takeaway tray) down onto the panel so that it picks up the corrugated form.

The advantages are clear - weathering and distressing a piece of foil is way easier than doing the same on a piece of plastic, which is far removed from the kind of surface that is being modelled. For complete instructions, Model Rail is probably still available on the news stands, if not they might have a back issue service, and this particular tip is in Issue 160, September 2011.

Now, the reason that this interested me was that I don't have any Modelscene corrugated panels. However, what I do have are:
  • toothpicks
  • matchsticks
  • cardboard
The thought occurred to me that I could replicate the corrugated panels by gluing either toothpicks or matchsticks to the cardboard, and then pressing the foil between two of these makeshift panels. Other bits and pieces can also probably be used - toothpicks give a rounded edge, matchsticks a square one, but there are probably other possibilities to explore.

I look forward to seeing your efforts, and will be posting my own as I perfect the technique. A big thanks to Paul. A Lunn and the folks at Model Rail for the initial spark!

No comments:

Post a Comment