Wednesday 13 July 2011

Newbie Reasons for Using DCC

The fundamental decision whether to run trains (points, signals, and so on) using DCC or analogue control is one best taken at the start of the model railway design process. In my case, I decided almost immediately that I wanted DCC for two reasons:
  • I didn't want to create track 'segments' to run multiple trains
  • I'm a geek and wanted, eventually, to move to computer control
The second of these reasons also led to choosing DCC for points and signals, when analog would have been both cheaper and easier to implement. However, this being a portable, modular, shelf switching and show-ready design, the DCC approach made more sense.

The Piko Digital system (H0, or HO, with Piko A tracks) is also controlled by an infra-red remote control, which I intend to use to prepare a computer-controlled DCC system. Now, I'm aware that there are manufacturers that can give me a box to do this, but I'm a bit of a geek and want to build my own from the ground up:
  • IguanaWorks IR transmitter/receiver
  • Arduino Uno programmable sensor/activator unit
  • PC-software design and control
I'll keep you posted as these things become a reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment